These fun and festive Halloween cupcakes are topped with classic Halloween candies for a charming trick-or-treat treat.
Cupcakes are little more than muffins topped with icing. Other than that, muffins and cupcakes are pretty much identical—they are quickbreads that use the same amount of the basics like flour, milk and eggs. Muffins are generally customized with fruit, nuts, or vegetables (like these squashy ones); however, since these are topped with cream cheese frosting (and candy!), these squarely fall into the cupcake category.
This recipe is simply my pumpkin muffin recipe with cream cheese frosting. The pumpkin muffin recipe is wonderfully aromatic, full of spiciness from the cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon in the pumpkin pie spice. The cream cheese frosting adds a nice balance of sweetness to all of that spiciness. (Although I do admit, these are perfectly complete without the frosting.)
I’ll be debuting these tonight at the Boo-zy Bday Bash, so get there early if you want to try one! I’m sure they will be gone in no time!
- Flour 1¼ cup + 3 tablespoons
- Baking Soda ½ teaspoon
- Pumpkin Pie Spice 1½ teaspoons
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup + 2 teaspoons
- Vegetable Oil ¼ cup + 3 tablespoons
- Canned Pumpkin Puree 1 cup
- Eggs 2
- Cream Cheese 8 ounces (room temperature)
- Powdered Sugar ½ cup + 1 tablespoon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Candy Corn
- Line mini-cupcake tins with cupcake cups, and preheat oven to 325F.
- Prepare dry ingredients: Place four in a bowl. Sift in next two ingredients, and whisk in salt.
- Place sugar and vegetable oil in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed for one minute. Add the pumpkin puree and increase speed to medium-low for about a minute. The batter should be smooth.
- Reduce speed to low and add eggs, one at a time, mixing for 15 seconds after each. It is very important to treat the batter delicately at this point and not over mix.
- Add the dry ingredients in 2 additions, mixing on medium-low for 10 seconds after each addition. Use a spatula to scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl. Mix on medium-low for an additional 10 seconds.
- Evenly distribute the batter in the cupcake tins. Each cupcake cup should be about ⅔ full.
- Bake at 325F for about 15 minutes. The cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool on wire rack in the tin for 10 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the tin, and let cool on wire rack completely.
- Prepare topping: Place softened cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment. Starting on low, mix for one minute. Increase to medium and mix for another minute. Add powdered sugar, and mix on low for one minute. Increase speed to medium, and mix until smooth. Add vanilla extract and mix an additional minute.
- Using a spatula or piping bag, ice the cupcakes. Top them with your favorite Halloween candies.