I’m sharing this savory treat for Day 8 of the 25 days of Advent. The smokiness of the cheddar, combined with the potency of horseradish offers a sharp contrast to the other cheeses on your holiday cheeseboard. This pungent appetizer is also very simple to make.
Day 8: Smoked Cheddar Cheese Ball with Horseradish and Walnuts
Difficulty: Piece of cake!
This recipe was adapted from Southern Living. The key to success is making sure your cheese is very finely shredded. I bought a block of cheese and used my grater with the smallest holes. Also, make sure your cream cheese and butter are at room temperature. That way, everything will easily mix together. Of course, having an electric mixer certainly helps.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Dash of hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- Vigorously mix the first seven ingredients together in a medium bowl until they are well combined. (I used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer with the paddle attachment). Refrigerate the mixture for five minutes.
- Roll the mixture into a ball. Place the chopped walnuts onto a flat work surface. Then, carefully roll the ball into the walnuts until the cheese is coated with the chopped walnuts. Serve with wheat crackers.