I picked up some beautiful strawberries at the market yesterday, and I knew I wanted to eat them fresh so I settled on adding them to a salad. I didn’t have much time to make my lunch this morning, so I wanted to do something easy that I could literally throw together. Strawberry caprese salad is as easy to make as putting the ingredients into a bowl and tossing them with a vinaigrette. I made a balsamic vinaigrette, but the strawberry-poppyseed vinaigrette would work well too! If you want to watch me make it, head on over to SnapChat 😉 (@FoodieInNewYork).
The sweetness of the strawberries is balanced by the acidity from the tomatoes and the balsamic vinegar, making this salad a perfect balance of flavors. Make sure to add a pinch of salt to your vinaigrette–the salt really helps meld the flavors and bring out the fresh flavor of the juicy, ripe tomatoes.
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 8 ounces of fresh mozzarella, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Add the halved strawberries, tomatoes, mozzarella, and chopped basil to a large bowl.
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Adjust seasoning, if necessary. Pour into salad bowl and toss.
- Serve immediately.