It’s late summer and finally tomato season. I picked up some gorgeous yellow cherry tomatoes, sun sugar tomatoes, at my weekly market. I decided to make whole wheat pasta with a vegetable and ground turkey sauce, topped with the delicious and vibrant tomatoes and fresh basil.
These tomatoes are definitely delicious enough to eat on their own. They are the sweetest and tangiest of the cherry tomato varieties. I used fresh basil from my basil plant growing on my windowsill–one of two plants in my apartment that I have managed to keep alive all spring and summer.
I make spaghetti pretty much the same every time I make it. I chop an onion, bell pepper and some garlic. This time, I added mushrooms. I sautee these ingredients, then I add ground turkey and creole seasoning.
Once the meat is cooked through, I add a jar of pasta sauce and let it simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes. I then added the noodles, fresh basil and tomatoes and served. This dish was the perfect Sunday dinner. The fresh tomatoes as pasta toppings added a refreshing burst to each bite that balanced the otherwise heavy pasta dish. I served it with a side of steamed collard greens–satisfying and nourishing.
- 1 box whole wheat spaghetti noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound mushrooms, washed thoroughly and chopped
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- creole seasoning OR salt and pepper
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- handful of basil leaves, chopped
- 1 small carton yellow cherry tomatoes, each cut in half
- Cook ⅔ of the box of noodles according to directions. Drain and set aside. (I like my pasta to have more sauce than noodles, so if you like more noodles, just add the entire box to the dish.)
- Saute the chopped onion in a large skillet over medium heat until the onion softens and just starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and continue to stir.
- Add the chopped bell pepper and cook another 5 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms soften.
- Add the ground turkey and season with creole seasoning. Stir until the turkey breaks up and is cooked and brown throughout.
- Once the ground turkey is cooked through, stir in the jar of tomato sauce. Once the sauce starts to simmer, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook, covered, for 10 or 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in chopped basil and chopped tomatoes. Correct the seasoning by adding more creole seasoning or salt, if needed.
- Stir in the noodles and serve.