I bought a tart pan about 3 months ago, so I have been meaning to make a tart for quite some time! I decided to bake a savory tart so that it could also be dinner. This project had a combined preparation and bake time of about 2 and a half hours. That time can be greatly reduced by buying an already prepared pie shell, or simply preparing the tart dough ahead of time. Also, it takes me a really long time do simple tasks like slicing mushrooms.
It was super delish. This dish also reminded me that vegetarian dishes can be hearty and flavorful. The chopped fresh tarragon definitely added a layer of complexity.
- pie crust
- 1 lb of small red potatoes (about 4), sliced into thin discs (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup light whipping cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup Gruyere or Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb of white button mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 450. Combine the garlic, onion, potatoes, and half of the olive oil (1/8 cup). Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and ground pepper. Spread out mixture evenly on a cookie sheet or baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes, until onions are translucent. Let cool. Reduce oven to 375.
- Sprinkle the fresh tarragon onto the crust. Put the potato mixture into the tart crust. Whip the eggs, whipping cream, and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle with pepper. Pour on top of the potato mixture in the tart pan. Don't try to use the entire egg mixture if it looks like it is going to overflow. Leave about 1/4 inch from the top of the pan. Bake 55-60 minutes, or until the egg mixture sets. If you jiggle the tart and the egg mixture does not jiggle, then it is set. Remove from oven.
- While the tart was baking.... heat 1/8 cup olive oil over in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown sliced mushrooms in the skillet for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and stir. Remove from heat.
- Once you remove the tart from the oven, sprinkle the 1/2 cup of cheese on the top. Spread the mushrooms evenly on top of the cheese. Bake for another 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and serve warm.