Homemade salad dressing is one of the easiest (and actually healthy) things you can make. Much like cranberry sauce, I can't for the life of me figure out why this stuff is bottled and sold in stores, because it is seriously simple to make! Well, this vinaigrette takes the olive oil-vinegar combo up a notch by adding fresh strawberries. The fresh berries give it a bright and spring-y flavor profile. I made this for a strawberry salad that I made this morning (You can watch me make it on SnapChat: FoodieInNewYork). The salad is kind of amazing, and this dressing is the exclamation point on it!
I soaked strawberries in red wine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper for 15 minutes. I then blended them and drizzled in olive oil, and finally, I whisked in poppy seeds. Flavorful and fresh homemade salad dressing is really that simple. I hope you make this recipe, and I'll be posting a recipe for an amazing strawberry salad (with toasted goat cheese croutons!) shortly.
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, quartered
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Rinse and dry the strawberries. Quarter them and add them to a bowl.
- Add the sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper and toss. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Blend the strawberry mixture. Once blended, drizzle in the olive oil. Then, stir in the poppy seeds.
- You may store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.