Lemons are such a versatile ingredient in sweet treats--their tartness and acidity makes them the perfect balance for sugary confections and desserts. I always find myself drawn to them, and after making honey-sweetened lemonade last weekend, I knew that I wanted to make lemonade popsicles.
These popsicles are just perfect. Lemonade can be tricky to get the sweet-tart ratio down since everyone likes their lemonade a little different. Plus, you have to deal with melting ice that is changing the sweet:tart ratio and diluting your concoction with each passing second! With these popsicles, you don't have to worry about any of that! The ratios don't change; although, the popsicles will definitely melt. And I think the sweet-tart balance in this recipe is perfect. Although, I must admit that I don't like super sweet things, which probably explains my affinity for lemony desserts ;)
Anyway, do yourself a favor and make these popsicles. They only have two ingredients: lemon juice and honey. Well, three if you include the water. They're practically healthy. It's basically the master cleanse, but delicious, and in a popsicle. Cheers to summer everyone!
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 cups water (2 cups total)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Make a simple syrup by heating 1/2 cup of water until just boiling. Remove from heat and stir in the honey.
- Once the honey is dissolved, stir in 1/2 cup of lemon juice and the remaining 1 and 1/2 cups of water.
- Pour the mixture into popsicle moulds. If desired, put thin slices of lemons into the popsicles for added flair.
- Freeze. If using popsicle sticks, after two hours, remove from the freezer and insert the sticks and freeze for an additional three hours. If handles are a part of your popsicle moulds, skip this step.
- Once completely frozen, remove from freezer and remove the popsicles from the moulds. Store them between pieces of wax paper in an air tight container in the freezer. (Be sure to unmould your popsicles--if you wait days or weeks, they will be much harder to get out.
- **If the popsicles are being stubborn and won't release easily, put them in warm (not hot!) water for about 30 seconds and try to remove them again. If serving immediately, put the removed popsicles in the freezer for another 30 minutes so that they won't melt instantly when you are enjoying them!