This recipe for salmon skewers can be made outdoors on a grill, or inside in the kitchen. Either way, you will have delicious, moist salmon kebabs that are simple to prepare and nourishing for your body.
Salmon is a favorite of mine, but the hefty cost of wild-caught salmon (both financially and environmentally) prevents me from consuming it on a regular basis. However, we must be in the middle of salmon season since I found wild-caught salmon at my local grocer for less than $9 a pound!
This entire recipe can be made start-to-finish in less than 30 minutes. I made a little extra marinade that I brushed on the kebabs once they were on the grill. Since I live in a tiny studio apartment with no access to outdoors, I grilled these in my kitchen on a cast-iron griddle. They came out absolutely perfectly. I intended on bringing these for my lunch today, but I had an entire serving as soon as they were done since they were so flavorful and moist right off the grill.
To make the marinade, I mixed fresh dill with Dijon mustard, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. I then reserved about 1/3 of the marinade in a small bowl and set aside. Next, I cut the salmon into chunks and mixed it into the marinade. I allowed the salmon to sit in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes while I sliced the lemons and prepared the grill.
Once the griddle was hot, I grilled the kebabs for about 3 minutes on each side, lightly brushing with the remaining marinade. Serve immediately!
- 1 pound wild-caught salmon, scaly part of the skin removed
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons light/refined olive oil or safflower oil (do not use extra virgin olive oil--you need an oil with a high smoking point)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, very finely chopped.
- Skewers (if using wooden, soak them overnight)
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, dill, salt, pepper and garlic. Pour 1/3 into a smaller bowl and set aside.
- Cut the salmon fillet, skin removed, into 1 and 1/2 inch chunks. Mix the salmon chunks in the large bowl of marinade. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the lemons by thinly slicing them. Prepare the grill. If using a stove-top griddle, light the heat to medium-high.
- Prepare the skewers by alternating the salmon chunks with the thinly-sliced lemon. Once the grill is hot, add the skewers and brush remaining marinade on the kebabs. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side, until done. Serve immediately.